- This event has passed.
Monarchs, Meadows & More!
September 25 @ 12:00 pm - 2:30 pm
Event is Full we cannot accommodate anymore guests.
Free event for all ages! The sanctuary is all aflutter over our upcoming sanctuary event – MONARCHS, MEADOWS & MORE! Join us as we explore the wonders of butterflies, bees, birds and pollinators, the plants that sustain them, and how to protect these incredible creatures. So, come on down to the sanctuary to enjoy a one-of-a-kind pollinator party and a chance to marvel at the natural environment all around us. Bring the whole family, meet our experts and experience our amazing line up of activities:
- Monarch Butterfly tagging with Sandy Schill
- Meadow net sweeping and insect discovery with Entomologist, Dr. Rayda Krell
- “The birds that call the sanctuary home” with Ken Elkins of Audubon Center Bent of the River
- Drawing pollinator flowers with artist, Kim Hossler
- Butterfly Puppet Making by Adelka Polak of Sova Dance and Puppet Theater*
- “Catherine’s Craft Corner” – paint your very own monarch yard marker, or butterfly and praying mantis masks
- Native Pollinator plants for sale
- Story walk – The Beeman by Laurie Krebs and Valerie Cis and booksale with Barefoot Books
All participants must register. Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult. Cancellations due to weather will be posted on our website.
***Please note the sanctuary has a new entrance – 8 Commerce Rd, Newtown, CT. Vehicles will not be allowed to enter from Old Farm Rd.***
We are excited to have Perfect Imperfections and Lucky Dog Refuge at our event. If you or someone you know is looking to adopt, please join us.
*Butterfly Puppet Making in thanks to the support of the Department of Economic and Community Development, Office of the Arts, which also receives support from the federal ARPA.