Free Event For All Ages
Saturday, July 15
9:30am to 12pm
Considering becoming a rider, are a lifelong equestrian, or simply love the majestic beauty of horses? Join us for this incredible free community event celebrating Newtown’s equestrian history. Meet and interact with the horses, learn equine care through hands-on demonstrations, and experience an official color guard opening. Plus, seasoned equestrians who have their own horses are invited to join in our guided trail ride.
Joining us on the green:
- Presentation of the Colors by the 2nd Governor’s Horse Guard begins at 9:30am
- Horse trailer exploration with the 2nd Governor’s Horse Guard
- Meet and greet with “Pixie” the horse from Rising Starr Horse Rescue! Learn about the reality and responsibility of Horse ownership / hands on including talks on riding.
- Meet and greet with “Little Bear” the horse from Newtown Bridle Land Association and learn all about horse grooming and care.
- “Ask the Equine Vet” with Fairfield Equine
- Interactive booth with the NBLA where you can test your knowledge about horse and rider safety on trails and roads. Spin a wheel, answer questions and win a prize! Booth hosted by Jillian Hoag as part of her Girl Scout Gold award project.
Guided Trail Ride
Limited to 40 riders and must bring own horse
Trailers must park at 2nd Governor’s Horse Guard
- 8:00am Horses and Trailers park at 2GHG
- 9:00am Mount and make way to CVH Animal Sanctuary Green
- 9:30am 2GHG Color Guard Opening and National Anthem (all in attendance standing)
- 9:45am Trail Ride Departs